Passed 46 criteria, received international accreditation
Izmir University of Economics (IUE) Faculty of Engineering successfully passed the internationally validated 46 criteria assessment conducted by the Association for Evaluation and Accreditation of Engineering Programs (MUDEK). At the end of the meticulous examination in many areas including the subjects covered in the curriculum and the physical facilities provided by the university; Computer Engineering, Electrical-Electronics Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Software Engineering departments qualified to be accredited for two years. Prof. Yaşar Güneri Şahin, Dean of IUE Faculty of Engineering, said, “Thanks to the international accreditation we have received, the diploma of our graduates will be valid in Europe and America without question. Our students will graduate as global citizens in engineering.”
MUDEK conducts the evaluation every two years to evaluate the education quality of universities and to improve the international opportunities offered to students. It works feverishly on critical issues such as whether student demands are taken into account, laboratory facilities, course rates in the curriculum, and university projects. As a result of the evaluation made on a total of 46 items, it is determined whether the departments can be accredited or not. The accreditation given by MUDEK is equivalent to the US-based Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Thus, when graduates of departments with MUDEK accreditation certificate want to study or work in any country in the world, their diplomas are automatically valid.
ALL DEPARTMENTS WILL RECEIVE
Prof. Yaşar Güneri Şahin, Dean of IUE Faculty of Engineering, said that they are proud to have achieved an important success as a faculty. Drawing attention to the fact that in order to be accredited by MUDEK, it is necessary to produce graduates at least 3 years, Prof. Şahin said, “10 departments within the faculty are ready to receive accreditation. However, we have to wait in some departments as there is a rule of producing graduates at least three years. By 2023, all our departments will be accredited. Accreditation is also a gateway to abroad for our graduates. Our graduates do not need to think, 'Will my diploma be valid abroad? The accreditation we receive puts our students one step ahead in every sense."
HERE ARE SOME CRITERIA
- Providing consultancy services that will monitor the status of students in the classroom and guide them in career planning.
- Ensuring that the instruction plan is implemented as stipulated.
- Ensuring that the teaching staff have sufficient qualifications and are developed.
- Meeting the social and cultural needs of students that allow them to participate in extracurricular activities.
- The technological infrastructure being sufficient for the scientific and educational work of students and faculty members.
- Library facilities being sufficient to achieve educational objectives and program outcomes.
- Measuring the student's success in all courses and other activities with transparent, fair and consistent methods.