Purpose, Scope, Basis, and Definitions
ARTICLE 1 – (1) The purpose of this regulation is to satisfy all the needs of students residing at the Izmir University of Economics dormitories, provide them a healthy, clean, safe and an orderly environment, and to set out the operating principles of dormitories.
ARTICLE 2 – (1) This regulation includes rules and principles regarding the admission of students to the dormitories of the Izmir University of Economics, administration and management of the dormitories, and students’ disciplinary procedures.
ARTICLE 3- (1) This regulation has been established in accordance with “Regulation on Private Student Accommodation Services” of the Ministry of Youth and Sports and “Private Student Accommodation Services Bylaw” of Higher Education Institutions.
ARTICLE 4 – (1) The references in this regulation are as follows;
a) Academic Year: Period between the beginning date of the courses and the ending date of the exams indicated on the academic calendar,
b) Student: Students of Izmir University of Economics,
c) Personnel: All staff working within the scope of Izmir University of Economics Girls' and Boys' Dormitory,
ç) Rectorate: Rectorate of Izmir University of Economics,
d) University Administrative Board: Administrative Board of Izmir University of Economics,
e) University: Izmir University of Economics,
f) Dormitory Disciplinary Boards: Disciplinary Board of Girls' and Boys' Dormitories of Izmir University of Economics,
g) Dormitory Director: Director of Girls' and Boys' Dormitories of Izmir University of Economics,
ğ) Dormitory Administrative Clerk: Administrative Clerk of Girls' and Boys' Dormitories of Izmir University of Economics,
h) Dormitories: Girls' and Boys' Dormitories of Izmir University of Economics.
Governing Bodies and Duties
ARTICLE 5-(1) Governing Bodies of the Dormitories are;
a) Dormitory Administrative Board
b) Dormitory Disciplinary Boards
c) Dormitory Director
ç) Dormitory Administrative Clerk
Dormitory Administrative Board
ARTICLE 6- (1) Dormitory Administrative Board consists of an academic selected by the Rector for a period of one year; Secretary General or the Vice Secretary General to be appointed by the Secretary General; Director of Student Affairs, Director of Health, Culture, and Sports, Director of Dormitories; and a student representative elected by the students by secret ballot at the beginning of each academic year from among the students who reside in the university dormitory, who have never received disciplinary penalty before, one of whom will be a primary and one of whom will be a substitute.
(2) The Board meets at least once a semester during the academic year or upon the request of the Director of Dormitories.
Duties of Dormitory Administrative Board
ARTICLE 7- (1) Duties of the Dormitory Administrative Board are to:
a) take principle decisions regarding the general management and supervision of the dormitories, determine the rules and principles to be applied in the dormitories,
b) determine the admission conditions and ranking principles of the students to be admitted to the dormitories and to determine the selection and placement criteria of the applicants according to these principles,
c) review the incoming complaints and recommendations and resolve them,
ç) perform other duties stipulated in this regulation.
Dormitory Disciplinary Boards
ARTICLE 8- (1) The Dormitory Disciplinary Board applies the principles of the “Regulation on Private Student Accommodation Services” of the Ministry of Youth and Sports in force regarding the manner of meeting, working procedures and principles, the issues to be applied and taken into consideration while imposing disciplinary punishment, and those who commit acts and situations that require disciplinary punishment. Dormitory disciplinary board is formed separately for girls’ and boys’ dormitories.
(2) In cases where the Dormitory Disciplinary Board is required to impose the penalty of expulsion from the dormitory, the Dormitory Disciplinary Board decides after consulting the Dormitory Administrative Board and the University's Legal Counselor.
(3) According to the provisions of Law No. 2547, acts and behaviors that require punishment are reported to the Rector's Office.
Applications, Admissions and Placements
ARTICLE 9- (1) Application procedures are taken in accordance with the available dormitory capacity for each semester and the principles determined by the Dormitory Administrative Board.
(2) Students, who will apply to benefit from the dormitory opportunity, must meet the following conditions:
a) Being a student of Izmir University of Economics,
b) Applying to the Dormitory Directorate in accordance with the rules determined by the Dormitory Administrative Board,
c) Not being convicted of crimes against the security of the State, crimes against the constitutional order and the functioning of this order, embezzlement, extortion, bribery, theft, fraud, crimes against sexual inviolability, manufacture and trade of drugs and stimulants, use, facilitation of use, purchase, acceptance or possession for use, even if one has been pardoned or imprisoned for one year or more for a crime committed deliberately.
(3) Scholarship students, who are benefiting from the dormitory scholarship and who voluntarily leave the dormitory while residing in the dormitory and/or move out by receiving rental assistance, may reapply for accommodation in the dormitory if there is room in the dormitory. The applications are evaluated and decided by the Dormitory Administrative Board.
(4) Students enrolled at the University, whose course registration is active in the relevant semester, can only stay in dormitories during the semester they are studying.
ARTICLE 10- (1) Dormitory student admission and placement is made among the students who meet the existing dormitory capacity and application requirements for each academic year in accordance with the principles determined by the Dormitory Administrative Board. Dormitory management may take into account factors such as department-class information, previous disciplinary penalties, etc. during room placement.
(2) If the dormitory is open during the summer semester and the space is available, the Dormitory Administrative Board determines whether the students who apply to stay in the dormitory will benefit from the dormitory and its conditions.
(3) The situation of students, who are deemed inconvenient to stay in the dormitory, is discussed and decided by the Dormitory Administrative Board.
(4) The documents required for students who want to enroll in dormitories are as follows:
a) Application Form
b) Certificate of residence from e-devlet website (separately for mother, father, and student)
c) Police clearance certificate and archive record
ç) Receipt of the deposit fee for the year of application. Students, who have stayed in the dormitory in previous years and have not received a refund of the deposit fee, are subject to the fees determined for the relevant academic year, and the payment made is offset against the deposit fee determined for the year in which the student started to stay, and the remaining difference is collected from the student.
d) Receipt of payment of the annual dormitory fee for students who are eligible to reside in the dormitory
e) Foreign students are also required to submit a study permit, a copy of their passport, foreign ID number and other documents specified in the first paragraph.
(5) A service provision commitment letter is drawn up and mutually signed between the students who are entitled to stay in the dormitories and the relevant Dormitory Directorate. This commitment letter is issued in a single copy and a copy is given to the student.
(6) Whether a student who has been expelled from the dormitory due to a disciplinary penalty will be re-admitted to the dormitory and the conditions of admission are decided by the Dormitory Administrative Board upon the application of the student and the proposal of the Dormitory Director.
(7) In accordance with the first paragraph of Article 12 of this regulation, if scholarship students, who are entitled to reside in the dormitory free of charge do not stay in the dormitory in the first year of their education at the University, their dormitory applications for the following years will be evaluated by the Dormitory Administrative Board if there is space in the dormitory on the registration renewal dates.
ARTICLE 11- (1) Students are placed according to the procedures and principles of the Dormitory Administrative Board.
(2) Students check-in to their rooms by signing the Inventory Form indicating that they have received the room assigned to them in full. Damages incurred during the controls made during the year are determined with a report, the damage to be determined by the relevant units of the University is paid at the cost on the day of payment or deducted from the deposit.
(3) Students, who wish to change the dorm rooms assigned to them, can apply to the relevant Dormitory Director for one time only during the first month of the semester, per semester. Such requests are considered by the Dormitory Director within the bounds of possibility.
Terms of Residence for Scholarship Holders
ARTICLE 12- (1) Students, who enrolled in IUE undergraduate program and have been granted scholarships with their OSYM scores and ranked in top 2500 in verbal and language score, and ranked in top 10000 in numerical score, and reside out of the city borders with their families; students, who reside within the city borders of Izmir but have difficulty in arriving on campus the same day via public transportation (those who travel by land for 50 km and more); and students, who reside in the counties designated by the University, may stay at the dormitories free of charge, if they wish to.
(2) In order for application of scholarship holders to be accepted, in addition to submitting certificate of residence from e-state website separately for mother, father, and student, document, which states that the student resides at least 50 km away from the campus for the past six months, also has to be submitted. In the event of parents living separately, or divorced, each parent needs to meet the same requirement.
(3) The procedures and principles of the current Izmir University of Economics Undergraduate and Associate Programs Scholarship and Discount Regulation are applied for the duration of dormitory use for scholarship students enrolled in undergraduate programs.
Student Disciplinary Procedures
Student Disciplinary Penalties
ARTICLE 13- (1) In disciplinary actions, the procedures and principles of the“Regulation on Private Student Accommodation Services” of the Ministry of Youth and Sports and “Private Student Accommodation Services Bylaw” of Higher Education Institutions in force are applied.
Dormitory Fees and Deposit
Dormitory Fees and Deposit
ARTICLE 14- (1) Dormitory fees, deposit amounts and fees to be collected from students and guests who wish to stay in the dormitory for reasons such as summer school, internship, etc., are decided by the Board of Trustees, upon the recommendation of the Senate, and the opinion of the Dormitory Administrative Board in accordance with the provisions of the “Regulation on Private Student Accommodation Services” of the Ministry of Youth and Sports in force at the beginning of each academic year.
(2) All scholarship/non-scholarship students who apply for dormitory are also obliged to pay the dormitory deposit fee. Students, who continue to stay in the dormitory, are required to pay the deposit fee difference determined for the next academic year.
(3) Dormitory fees and deposits are paid annually in advance at the time of initial registration.
(4) Scholarship students, who have resided in the dormitory for at least one year within the scope of the first paragraph of Article 12 of this regulation and who request a house-rent allowance, are evaluated by the Dormitory Administrative Board if the dormitory capacity is not suitable and a place cannot be provided.
a) The Dormitory Administrative Board evaluates the students who apply for house-rent allowance according to quota, class and success ranking.
b) The amount to be paid to students as house- rent allowance is determined by the Board of Trustees at the beginning of each academic year upon the opinion of the Dormitory Administrative Board and the recommendation of the University Administrative Board.
(5) For students who apply for dormitory during the academic year, the annual dormitory fee is calculated on a monthly basis and the fee applicable to the period of stay is charged in advance, calculated in full for the month of enrollment.
Miscellaneous and Final Provisions
ARTICLE 15 – (1) The Dormitory Calendar is created by the Dormitory Administrative Board ensuring that the opening and closing dates of the dormitories, application dates, fee payment dates and other relevant dates are in line with the University’s academic calendar.
(2) The Rectorate may suspend dormitory activities when deemed necessary, either directly or upon the recommendation of the Dormitory Administrative Board.
ARTICLE 16- (1) All students staying in the dormitories are required to follow the processes specified below in case of dismissal from the dormitory during or at the end of the semester.
a) Emptying the room by taking all belongings from the dormitory room,
b) Leaving the room as clean and tidy as it was delivered,
c) Turning in the room key,
ç) Signing a dormitory release form at the Dormitory Directorate Office.
2) Completion of release documents such as "Release Form, Fixture Delivery Form, etc." to be provided by the Dormitory Directorate.
3) The Service Provision Commitment Letter signed during registration is mutually terminated.
4) During the semester and at the end of the semester, the room of the student leaving the dormitory is checked by the Dormitory Directorate, the condition of the room is determined with a report, and it is determined whether the materials and fixtures have been damaged. If it is determined that the student has not damaged the materials and fixtures, his/her deposit will be returned, and if he/she has damaged any materials or fixtures, the fee to be deducted will be paid or deducted from his/her deposit at the cost of the damage to be determined by the relevant units of the University on the day of payment.
(5) Damages caused by more than one student will be divided equally among them or deducted from their deposits. If the student fails to pay the material fee within the allotted time, legal interest will be charged from this date. If the student fails to pay this fee, the dismissal process cannot be completed when leaving the University and no document will be delivered to him/her.
(6) Tagged/non-tagged student belongings left behind in the rooms will be put in storage by the Dormitory Directorate temporarily. Dormitory Directorate will not be responsible for any damage or loss of the stored items. Items not claimed at the end of 30 days, will be delivered to the University Security Unit in accordance with the University's lost and found procedures.
ARTICLE 17 – (1) The student enrolled in the dormitory will be exclusively responsible for any damage to the property and fixtures of other students, employees and third parties in the dormitory, even if he/she causes any damage with slight negligence.
Non Provisional Cases
ARTICLE 18- (1) Provisions of the “Private Student Accommodation Services Bylaw” of Higher Education Institutions, “Regulation on Private Student Accommodation Services” of the Ministry of Youth and Sport, provisions of Law No. 2547, decisions of IUE Senate and Dormitory Administrative Board shall be taken into account should non provisional cases occur in this regulation.
ARTICLE 19-(1) IUE “Student Dormitory Regulation”, which took effect with the decision of the Senate dated 16 October 2019 and numbered 372/A11, and decision of the Board of Trustees dated 24 October 2019 and numbered 27, has been repealed.
Effectiveness and Enforcement
ARTICLE 20 – (1) This regulation may be amended by the decision of Izmir University of Economics Senate.
ARTICLE 21- (1) This regulation takes effect on the date it is approved by the Board of Trustees of Izmir University of Economics.
ARTICLE 22- (1) The Rector of the Izmir University of Economics enforces the provisions of this regulation.
This regulation took effect with the decision of the Senate dated 16.08.2023 and numbered 509-2023/23, and decision of the Board of Trustees dated 10.08.2023and numbered 82.GERİ DÖN