REGULATION FOR ACADEMIC EVALUATION AND QUALITY IMPROVEMENT BOARD
Purpose, Scope, Basis, and Definitions
ARTICLE 1 – (1) The purpose of this regulation is to set out the general rules regarding the establishment and operation of “Academic Evaluation and Quality Improvement Board” established in order to develop quality assurance systems, maintain their continuity, and carry out internal and external quality assurance and assessment procedures at Izmir University of Economics within the scope of “Higher Education Quality Assurance and Higher Education Quality Board Regulation.”
ARTICLE 2 – (1) This regulation includes provisions regarding the duties, power, and responsibilities of “Academic Evaluation and Quality Improvement Board” established in order to evaluate and improve academic and administrative services, provide the establishment and operation of internal and external quality assurance system, and carry out accreditation processes at Izmir University of Economics.
ARTICLE 3 – (1) This regulation has been prepared pursuant to additional Article 35 of Higher Education Law No. 2547 dated 4 November 1981, and the provisions of Higher Education Quality Assurance and Higher Education Quality Board Regulation published in Official Gazette dated 23 November 2018 and numbered 30604.
ARTICLE 4 – (1) The references in this regulation are as follows:
- Chair: The Chair of the Academic Evaluation and Quality Improvement Board of Izmir University of Economics,
- Unit: Faculties, graduate school, vocational schools, research and application centers, academic and administrative units affiliated to Izmir University of Economics,
- External Evaluation: The external evaluation process of education and research activities and administrative services quality of Izmir University of Economics or programs of Izmir University of Economics by external evaluators assigned by the Higher Education Quality Board, or by independent external evaluation organizations holding a Quality Evaluation License recognized by the Council of Higher Education,
- Internal Evaluation: The evaluation process of education and research activities and administrative services quality and improvement of institutional quality studies of Izmir University of Economics by evaluators assigned by the University,
- Secretary General: Secretary General of Izmir University of Economics,
- Quality Director: Quality Development and Accreditation Director of Izmir University of Economics,
- Quality Assurance: All planned and systematic procedures in order to provide assurance that a higher education institution or a program performs the quality and performance processes, completely compatible with internal and external quality standards,
- Quality and Coordination Directorate: Administrative unit that provides support to Academic Evaluation and Quality Improvement Board of Izmir University of Economics in carrying out and following up the procedures,
- Institutional Feedback Report (IFR): The report prepared by external evaluators within the scope of institutional external evaluation program about the strengths of the institution as well as the areas for improvement,
- Institutional Evaluation Report (IER): The report prepared annually by the University to monitor quality assurance processes related to education, research and social contribution activities and administrative services,
- Board: The Academic Evaluation and Quality Improvement Board of Izmir University of Economics,
- Institutional External Evaluation Program: It is the process of periodic evaluation of the quality of higher education institutions' educational, research and social contribution activities and administrative services at least once in five years,
- Board of Trustees: The Board of Trustees of Izmir University of Economics,
- Student Representative: President of Student Council of the University,
- Performance Indicators: Tools used to measure, follow up, and evaluate whether the University achieved its aims and goals, or the extent it succeeded in achieving,
- Program Accreditation: The process of external evaluation and quality assurance in which the independent evaluation and accreditation organizations evaluate whether the respective University program fulfills a set of predetermined academic and field-specific standards,
- Program Evaluation: The process of evaluation of teaching programs as part of the internal quality assurance system of the University,
- Vice Rector: The Vice Rector of Izmir University of Economics,
- Rector: The Rector of Izmir University of Economics,
- Senate: The Senate of Izmir University of Economics,
- National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education in Turkey: National competence frame, designed in line with the European Higher Education Competence Frame, which includes all competency principles acquired through elementary, secondary, and tertiary education, occupational, general and academic teaching programs and other means of learning,
- University: Izmir University of Economics,
- Higher Education Quality Assurance System: Rules and procedures regarding internal and external quality assurance of educational, research and social contribution activities and administrative services, accreditation processes and independent external evaluation of higher education institutions, and recognition and authorization of accreditation services,
- Higher Education Quality Board: The Board responsible for organizing and carrying out quality evaluation and assurance and accreditation procedures in higher education institutions.
Formation of the Board and Term of Office of Board Members
Formation of the Board
ARTICLE 5 – (1) The Academic Evaluation and Quality Improvement Board shall be chaired by the Rector. In the absence of the Rector, Vice Rector to be assigned by the Rector, shall chair the Board.
(2) The activities of the Board shall be carried out by a Quality Director assigned by the Rector.
(3) The Board consists of a Chair, a Quality Director, members (not to exceed one representative, and from different fields of science) representing faculties, graduate school, school, and vocational school, a Secretary General, respective representatives, and a Student Representative, all of whom are selected by the Senate.
(4) In the case of the vacancy in the position of a board member due to any reason, the Senate selects/assigns a replacement in the same way within one month the latest. The selected/assigned member’s term of office is three years starting from the date of his/her assignment.
(5) The office and personnel support services of the Board are carried out by the Quality and Coordination Directorate.
Term of Office of Board Members
ARTICLE 6 – (1) Term of office for the members of the Board is three years. The members can be re-elected in the same way at the end of their term of office.
(2) A new member can be assigned in the same way in the event of a member who resigns before his/her term is over. The new member shall complete for the residue of the unexpired term of previous member.
(3) Term of Office, for the student representative, is one year. In the event of termination of membership, a new student selected by the student council is appointed upon the call of the Senate.
ARTICLE 7 – (1) The Board convenes with absolute majority, and majority of votes takes the decisions. In the event of equal votes, the party with the vote of the Chair, is considered the majority.
(2) Members are required to submit an excuse to Quality Director in the event of failure to attend a meeting.
ARTICLE 8 – (1) The Board convenes at least four times, at times and places specified before, and at times deemed necessary by the Chair or the Quality Director.
Duties of the Board
ARTICLE 9– (1) The duties of the Academic Evaluation and Quality Improvement Board are as follows:
a) Make sure that the notion of quality is seized upon by all internal and external stakeholders,
b) Establish quality management system at the University, follow up the process, and ensure its improvement and development,
c) Encourage academic units to enter into accreditation processes and support them with the process,
ç) Oversee the PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act) cycle for education, research and social contribution activities and administrative services,
d) Analyze the internal and external evaluation results, plan reformative and improver actions, and submit to the Rectorate for implementing,
e) Include the opinions of internal and external stakeholders into the quality improvement process,
f) Plan, implement institutional evaluation studies, prepare annual IER, which includes the results of institutional evaluation and improvement studies, and submit it to the Senate,
g) Make sure that the annual IER, which is approved by the Senate, is published on the website of the University and easily accessed,
ğ) Make the necessary preparations for the institutional external evaluation program, inform the internal and external stakeholders about the process, provide support to external evaluation process of Higher Education Quality Board,
h) Make sure that the IFR, prepared as part of the institutional external evaluation program and approved by the Higher Education Quality Board, is published on the website of the University,
ı) Work closely with the Higher Education Quality Board, perform studies in line with the rules and procedures set forth by the Board, and share model practices with the Board,
i) Share the decisions of the Higher Education Quality Board with the University Senate,
j) Contribute to the formation of corporate culture that is based on participation, efficient use of the University resources, improvement of processes, and providing quality services when implementing quality management processes,
k) Make sure that the academic units meet with students periodically in order to provide students with universal quality education during their studies, analyze the reports on those meetings, make recommendations to the Rectorate on improvement activities, and share with all stakeholders.
Internal Evaluation, External Evaluation, and Improvement Action Plans
Internal evaluation reports and calendar
ARTICLE 10- (1) The University Board prepares an internal evaluation report annually, integrated with the strategic plan, performance program and activity report, which includes all education and research activities and supportive administrative services.
(2) The Board completes internal evaluation studies by the end of March each year and prepares the IER and submits to the Rectorate for the approval of the Senate. The report, after being approved by the Senate, is sent to the Higher Education Quality Board.
(3) The IER is open to public. The annual internal evaluation reports are published on the University’s website.
Scope of internal evaluation reports
ARTICLE 11- (1) Internal evaluation reports include the following:
a) The University’s mission, vision and goals set forth in the light of the national strategy and goals for higher education as well as quality assurance policies and processes,
b) Managerial and organizational processes and activities implemented by the University to achieve its mission and goals,
c) Internal quality assurance system in which the activities of academic and administrative units are evaluated and reviewed periodically in order to ensure the University reaches its goals,
ç) Measurable goals of its academic units as well as key performance indicators pertaining to these goals and their periodic review,
d) The University’s ongoing efforts to structure its academic programs based on learning outcomes in accord with the National Qualifications Framework for Higher Education in Turkey and to meet the accreditation requirements,
e) The areas identified as areas for improvement as a result of the prior internal and external evaluation.
Institutional external evaluation program
ARTICLE 12- (1) Higher education institutions are responsible for undergoing a periodic external institutional evaluation process conducted by the Higher Education Quality Board at least once in five years. The calendar for the external evaluation of the University is prepared and announced by the Higher Education Quality Board.
(2) Institutional External Evaluation Program; through the external evaluation teams appointed by the Board, the preliminary evaluation of the institution through the internal evaluation report covers the evaluation process consisting of field visits and preparation of the Institutional feedback report.
(3) The external evaluation of a higher education institution is completed in accord with the scope and contents specified in Article 11 of this regulation within the scope of rules and regulations set forth by the Board.
(4) External evaluation services provided for unit/program accreditation are rendered by a national and international independent institution holding the Quality Evaluation License and these services are limited to the respective unit/program.
Scope of institutional external evaluation report
ARTICLE 13- (1) External evaluators appointed by Higher Education Quality Board prepare an institutional feedback report for the University within the scope of the Institutional External Evaluation Program.
(2) The institutional feedback report prepared for the University covers the strong and healing areas of the institution with its educational, research and development activities carried out in the institution, social contribution activities that stand out on a regional/national scale, if any, and the quality assurance system in the administrative services of the institution and corporate decision-making processes.
Announcing the institutional internal and external evaluation results to the public
ARTICLE 14 – (1) The results of internal and external evaluations conducted on the University are open to the public. Annual institutional internal reports and institutional feedback reports regarding the external evaluation program are announced on the websites of the respective University and the official website of the Board.
Quality assurance and quality improvement expenses
ARTICLE 15 – (1) All expenses incurred by the University to comply with this regulation are covered by the University budget.
Non Provisional Circumstances
ARTICLE 16- (1) The Quality Assurance of Council of Higher Education Regulation and provisions of other respective legislations and Senate decisions shall be taken into account should non provisional cases occur in this regulation.
ARTICLE 17- (1) This regulation takes effect on the date it is approved by the Senate of Izmir University of Economics.
ARTICLE 18- (1) The Rector of the Izmir University of Economics enforces the provisions of this regulation.
This regulation took effect with the decision of the Senate dated 25 December 2019 and numbered 379/A8, and decision of the Board of Trustees dated 15 January 2020 and numbered 31.