COORDINATED COURSES REGULATION
Purpose, Scope, Basis, and Definitions
ARTICLE 1- The purpose of this regulation is to set out the general rules regarding the application of the courses conducted under the coordination and the working principles of the coordinatorship assigned to carry out these courses at Izmir University of Economics.
ARTICLE 2- This regulation includes general rules regarding the courses under the same name, which are conducted by more than one instructor at Izmir University of Economics, and the coordination and application of these courses.
ARTICLE 3- The references in this regulation are as follows;
- Faculty, School, and Vocational School: Any faculty of the University, School that offers four year undergraduate degree program, and Vocational School that offers two year associated degree program,
- Coordinated Course: Courses under the same name, which are being conducted by more than one instructor,
- Vice Coordinator: Vice Coordinator of the course,
- Coordinator: Coordinator of the course,
- Rector’s Office: Izmir University of Economics Rector’s Office,
- Senate: The University Senate,
- Exams: All of the measurement and assessment activities in the syllabus such as mid-terms, quizzes, finals, make-up exams, application, projects, workshops, laboratories, juries, presentations, seminars, etc.,
- Syllabus: Course Introduction Information,
- University: Izmir University of Economics.
Selection and Duties of Coordinator and Vice Coordinator
ARTICLE 4 – The coordinator is chosen by the Academic Unit Administrator among the full-time faculty members, who preferably taught the course before, for two (2) years and respective units are informed about this assignment. At the end of the term, the coordinator may be reassigned or may be relieved of duty before the two year period is over. If necessary, the respective Academic Unit Administrator may assign one (1) or two (2) faculty member(s) as a vice coordinator, to help the coordinator. In case of the course to be conducted under the coordination not being affiliated with any Faculty, or School, the assignment of the coordinator and the vice coordinator will be decided by the Rector in accordance with the procedures stated in this article.
Duties of the Coordinator
ARTICLE 5 - Duties of the coordinator are listed below:
- Coordination of the activities: Coordinate the organization of the scientific, social, cultural, artistic, and social responsibility activities to be carried out as part of coordinated courses.
- Coordination of faculty members: Make a distribution of tasks in terms of the course activities for faculty members, who are going to conduct the course; make sure all of the activities are coordinated, and when necessary, hold meetings with the faculty members that conduct the course.
- Syllabus: Determine the scientific and professional competencies, course outcomes, evaluation criteria, and their grade point percentages, which are stated in the syllabus for the course, in coordination with the academic unit administrators and faculty members that conduct the course; make the curriculum that involves plans and programs regarding these activities, and update them.
- Internet page for the course: Develop a course web page in coordination with the respective academic unit administrators and faculty members that conduct the course; determine the content, and coordinate the updates.
- Follow-up of the attendance: Follow-up the attendance of the students, who take the course, and their status regarding measurement and assessment, with the faculty members that conduct the course, and coordinate the entries to the Student Information System.
- Course materials: Make sure that the curriculum is being carried out simultaneously in all classes with matching education materials.
- Announcement of the type of the exam: Determine the type of the administration (test, written, oral, application, studio, laboratory, etc.) for all exams in the curriculum with the faculty members that conduct the course, and announce it to the students on the course web page.
- Administering the exam: Make sure that the exams are administered simultaneously in all classes with matching structures (measuring similar competencies); determine the facts such as questions to be asked, applications, experiments, etc. with the faculty members that conduct the course before the exams.
- Announcement of the content of the exam: Make sure that the content of the exam and the learning outcomes planned to be measured with the exam are announced on the course web page at least 10 days before the Mid-terms and Finals.
- Determining the exam attendees: Determine the number of the students who are going to take exams by taking their attendance into consideration; inform the Student Affairs Directorate about the required features of the mid-term exam locations, and mid-term exams dates; assign the distribution of students to the exam locations; coordinate the announcement of the exam location lists on the course web page, and the distribution of the invigilators, if there are any, to the exams and exam locations.
- Exam assessment criteria: Determine the exam assessment criteria with the faculty members that conduct the course after the exams, and make sure that these criteria are used equally as much as possible.
- Notification of the competencies to be examined: Make sure that the answers to the questions or the information regarding the competencies that are examined are announced on the course web page within three (3) business days following the Mid-terms and Finals.
- Announcement of the exam results: Announce the exam results (grades) to the students through internet in fifteen (15) business days following the exams administered during the semester.
- Grade entries: Make sure that all faculty members enter the grades based on the same assessment criteria at the end of the semester; check to see if the announced grades are same as the entered grades; coordinate the submission of the signed reports regarding the entries to the Student Affairs Directorate.
- Grade objections: Review the grade objection requests with the faculty members that conduct the course, if there are any corrections to be made, make sure that the corrections are equally made with the assessment results for all of the classes.
- Course files: Coordinate the preparation of the course file required by the accreditation activities at the end of the semester.
- Feedback: Prepare and submit an assessment report involving numerical data regarding the course to the Academic Unit Administrator at the end of the semester.
- Submitting the course documents: Coordinate the submission of all course documents, which are used in measurement and assessment, to the archive at the end of the semester.
ARTICLE 6- Vice coordinator helps the course coordinator in all of the activities regarding the duties of the coordinator.
Various and Final Provisions
ARTICLE 7 – This Regulation takes effect on the date of its approval by the Senate
ARTICLE 8 – The Rector of the Izmir University of Economics enforces the provisions of this Regulation.
This regulation takes effect upon the decision of the Senate dated 17.12.2012 and numbered 201/A11 and the decision of the Board of Trustees dated 12.02.2013 and numbered 30/18.